vendor using oracle 10g database for application, but wants to lock access to data (vendor lock-in)

From: pheonix1t <pheonix1tAThoustonDOTrrDOTcom_at_com.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 03:33:36 GMT

what are ways to bypass vendor lock-in on oracle 10g? one site I work at has been a beta testing site for about 2 years for an EMR vendor (electronic medical records). Now, the application is almost finished and I asked about odbc or XML access to the database and we've been told that's a topic we'll have to discuss with sales!
they're telling us if we want any interface to other systems, they can build it for us!

Is there a polite but clear way to state that it's OUR DATA and we want full access to it by any method oracle supports?

Has anyone else seen this? I feel like they've used the beta sites and now they want to take advantage of them by telling most doctors (who have no idea about rdbms issues, data access, etc) that for a price, the   vendor can make an interface for them!

Oskar

ps. I was thinking of getting around them by resetting the system password to the database! It's on win2k server. I guess sqlplus from command line should work. I tried 'connect / as sysdba' and 'connect system as sysdba'. For system, i get prompted for a password, / gets privilage error or something like that. I don't know the password! HELP!! I guess I can put a request on metalink for lost system password, that must be pretty common for them (I guess). Received on Mon Jun 27 2005 - 22:33:36 CDT