Re: vendor using oracle 10g database for application, but wants to lock access to data (vendor lock-in)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 27 Jun 2005 22:28:01 -0700

pheonix1t wrote:
> what are ways to bypass vendor lock-in on oracle 10g?

Become God. I.e. using sysdba access.

And I agree - it is your data. Read-only access to the data should not be a problem - with the understanding of course that interpretation of the data is now fully in your court. Reason I say that is I'v seen vendor schemas where table names and colum nnames say one thing, but mean something very different and in another unit of meassure.

> ps. I was thinking of getting around them by resetting the system
> password to the database! It's on win2k server. I guess sqlplus from
> command line should work. I tried 'connect / as sysdba' and 'connect
> system as sysdba'. For system, i get prompted for a password, / gets
> privilage error or something like that. I don't know the password!
> HELP!!
Well, in that case it is safer for you not to touch the instance until you at least know the basics of Oracle sys admin.

--
Billy