Re: Help:RAC implemention of archived redo logs

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:03:50 -0700

NewGuyOnRAC wrote:

>>Oracle is using NFS for RAC.
>>I do 90% of my RAC installs with NFS mount.
>>It is safe.
>>It is stable.
>>It is certified.

>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)

> Daniel,
>
> What do you mean 90% of RAC install on NFS mount?
>
> Do you mean you even put oracle datafiles on NFS mount? Never heard of it.
>
> Could you explain more?

Absolutely put datafiles on NFS mount. You should have heard about it as it is what Oracle has been doing for at least two years. It is what all of the RAC clusters at Boeing I've worked on have done. And not a single issue has arisen.

There is a mythology around NFS that goes back to before v3. The technology has changed and NFS mounting of datafiles is now standard. Same thing goes with many other things that used to be absolute truths but now are different for example it is now no longer the rule of thumb that RAID5 can not be used for OLTP. Now one has to determine which technology RAID5 is being discussed.