Re: a heated discussion between Development Team & "a" DBA: reorg or not to reog

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 24 Jun 2005 07:01:15 -0700

Old, I think I gave a bunch of caveats and "ifs". It certainly sounds like it "may be" an application problem.

All of the members of the collective hive mind ( the Millsap "ians" ) should have one collective mantra ...

Before making any conclusions go thru the process ...

0) talk to people and find out what problems need to be addressed

For each problem ...
1) obtain properly scoped diagnostic data 2) analyze this data thru a methodology similar to the one presented in "Optimizing Oracle Performance"
3) look at and attack events that are slowing the problem child by the biggest contributor first

Rinse and repeat until no longer cost effective or customers and management happy with current situation.

What if the biggest thing that shows up is "SQL NET from client" ... in a batch application. Do we just dismiss it or do we keep following thru?

So anyhow I for one don't know enough to say if it is application problem or not Received on Fri Jun 24 2005 - 09:01:15 CDT