Re: Performance difference between 2 machines

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 23 Jun 2005 20:29:11 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:

> But why not just move everything to RAW and ASM?
>
> I've seen no problems with in on RH 3.
> --

Because there is a limit on the number of raw devices one can open in RH3 and I'm w-a-a-a-y over that already in my db servers.

And because I can't convince my management to buy upfront all the disk storage we may need for the next 5 years. It changes so much in price as time goes by, anyone buying more than 12 months ahead is basically throwing away good moolah.

Therefore I have to live with adding space to existing dbs as time and needs come by.
ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE '/dev/blah' RESIZE 40000M ain't work well when /dev/blah is raw. The alternative of changing via lvm ain't work either if you're 24X7!

And don't get me started on how many raw devices I need to run my redos!

Apple's XSERVE raids have been a Godsend: good performance even in cooked IO, cheap, large. But even these have limits.

All I need is ONE 9irn that works well... Received on Thu Jun 23 2005 - 22:29:11 CDT