Re: OEM/Table Editor seems to be caching data?

From: <pobox002_at_bebub.com>
Date: 23 Jun 2005 06:19:40 -0700

ohaya wrote:
> I was using a procedure to update data in the table, and there wasn't a
> COMMIT in that. Once I added the COMMIT, the changes starting being
> visible in OEM.
>
> However, I still have a question: Before I put the COMMIT into the
> procedure, the changes would appear/be visible if I did a SELECT in
> SQLPlus, even though they weren't showing up in OEM. Were the changes
> visible in SQLPlus because I had done the SELECT in the same SQLPlus
> 'session' that I had used to 'exec' the procedure?

Yes, you should read in the Database Concepts manual about read conistency.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96524/toc.htm

Changes issued as DML are only visisble to the session that made them until they are committed and published for all sessions to see.

You should not put the commit in the procedure as that changes the behaviour so that it cannot be used as part of a larger transaction. You should commit in the session that executes the procedure.

--
MJB