Re: Performance difference between 2 machines

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:25:08 +0200

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1119473573.863885_at_yasure...
> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>
>> How could I benchmark the ideal configuration for our database ? Install
>> different databases with different block sizes ? That's a whole lot of
>> work, and we don't have the diskspace ...
>
> Wholly unnecessary waste of time. First you need to collect metrics from
> Oracle and operating system that indicate what the issue(s) are.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Well, the issue is that after doing a lot of research and reading, I still don't know what the "optimal" block size would be for an Oracle 10g DWH on JFS2 on AIX 5.2 with async i/o. Some say 4K, some say a multiple of 4K ... We do not have any performance issues with our current 8.1.7 db with 16K block size (no high CPU usage, no swapping, no i/o waits ...). But maybe the performance can be even better with a lower block size ... Received on Wed Jun 22 2005 - 16:25:08 CDT