Re: Performance difference between 2 machines

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:43:44 GMT

Matthias Hoys wrote:
> Well, the issue is that after doing a lot of research and reading, I still
> don't know what the "optimal" block size would be for an Oracle 10g DWH on
> JFS2 on AIX 5.2 with async i/o. Some say 4K, some say a multiple of 4K ...
> We do not have any performance issues with our current 8.1.7 db with 16K
> block size (no high CPU usage, no swapping, no i/o waits ...). But maybe the
> performance can be even better with a lower block size ...

If unsure go for the fs block size.
You can later tune readahead and DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT.

If using direct i/o go for a larger block size (multile of fs block).

Otherwise, if you don't simple trust what you read (as it should be), then: test, test, test. :)

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe