Re: Oracle Grid

From: JSchneider <jeremypaulschneider_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Jun 2005 06:52:48 -0700

Mark A wrote:
> What are the recommendations for using RAC vs GRID (or both) for continuous
> availability? The TV ad did not mention RAC at all, only GRID.

Not really sure what you mean by "GRID"... I can't think of any particular oracle products or options called simply "GRID". There's "grid control" which is the next generation of OEM, if that's what you mean then I would recommend using it. "RAC" is an option that enables multiple instances to access a single database concurrently on shared storage.

Exactly what product are you talking about what you ask about using "GRID"? (I don't know what you mean.) Maybe you just mean version "10g" of the database. If that's the case, then I'd say that 10g has many new improvements over previous versions and I'd recommend using it if you have the option.

I think that the idea of "grid computing" that Oracle has been marketing is more of a concept or philosophy than a particular product.  It's thinking of computing as a utility, like electricity. You plug your alarm clock into the socket and you don't really have to think about the incredible complexity of volts and amps, power lines, and generators that make up the electrical grid. Oracle is marketing this because they have instrumented the latest version their database (and their consulting & outsourcing services) to be very conducive to this philosophy of computing. Of course this is only my impression and experience, which may differ from that of others here.

/js Received on Tue Jun 14 2005 - 08:52:48 CDT