Re: processor and ram

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 00:08:45 GMT

"humble" <otnquestions_at_yahoo.com> wrote in news:1118619397.719589.187350_at_g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> This might be a silly question of experience oracle developers but..
>
> I want to know the the CPU speed and the amount of RAM become an issue
> for SQL queries.
>
> For example when we run a query which has to do a lot of sorting and if
> the sort_area_size is not properly set, then the RAM might assume a lot
> of importance. But WHEN will the cpu speed be relevant?

It becomes relevant when the CPU is the scarest resource; when the CPU become the bottleneck; when the session has everything it needs except CPU cycles.

No resource, (CPU, RAM, I/O) is infinite. Data is processed only at the rate of the most limited resource. Within a computer, the "most" limiting resource can change over time, based upon the demands placed on it by the application. When a system has more than enough RAM & I/O to meet the demands of the application, then the CPU could become the performance limiting resource & therefore "relevant". Received on Sun Jun 12 2005 - 19:08:45 CDT