Re: OracleStartORCL(STRTDB73.EXE) error at Windows XP / Windows 2003

From: Bjarke Wedemeijer <bjarke_at_wedemeijer.dk>
Date: 10 Jun 2005 21:37:55 -0700

Hi,

We have seen it all the time, people running on database software which is decades old, and I mean *decades*. Most often, their operating systems and hardware are also decades old. But running a decade old database server, on a 'new' OS like 2003, is like filling your Mustang from 1950 with led-free fuel - it might work - but it never will be good, and you might ruin the engine.

Hosnestly, I know that these old databases might be a problem, but for god sake run a Virtual machine with the certified OS beneath it. Oracle Support will not only laugh at you, they probabely want a serious talk with you why you take such high risks.

But again, Oracle consulting firms love these old databases. They earn a lot of money on the hours, and after having paid them, they always can say "This oracle database is not supported", or "you should definitly upgrade",

Bjarke Received on Fri Jun 10 2005 - 23:37:55 CDT