Re: 100% CPU on Startup and Shutdown

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:34:26 +0200

opus wrote:
> Hello...
>
> Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k-Serv SP2 P3-1.2 1GB RAM. Lots of freespace on all
> partitions.
>
> This database has been working flawlessly for several years. Recently I had to
> turn off the computer to swap the UPS. Upon restarted the server the Oracle
> instance now goes to 100% CPU usage on instance startups and shutdowns,
> dramatically slowing down the process. Instance startup takes upwards of 10
> minutes. This happens whether using DBA Studio or oradim. I suspect there may
> be slowing down during redo log switches, too.
>
> No other changes to the database that I'm aware of. The server has been
> rebooted several times in the past without incident.
>
> I'm not very experienced as a DBA, so please forgive me if I ask a silly
> question or two.
>
> Windows event logs and oracle logs are clean, though I admit I may not be
> looking everywhere or reading them correctly. I'm guessing the first thing
> might be get new memory.
>
> It's a mission critical business database, so I'm very concerned. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thx,
> D.

You know, leaving the unsupported bit and OS flames aside, I wonder why you would frequently restart a mission critical database. Is this for backup? Then change to online backups (and since it's mission critical, you're running in archivelog mode, right?).

And if it's for maintenance, then just schedule that to a time when the database is not needed.

 From your other post:
> And yes, I knew 817 is unsupported. Didn't know Win2k-Serv is a lousy choice
> for Oracle. Either way, it's a management choice and I'm new, green, and thrown
> into the deep end with little-to-none authority. In other words, I don't expect
> management to change the setup no matter what I say.

I don't know about your experience with other OSes, but if your familiar and comfortable with Windows, and there is no really heavy load on the DB then just stick with it and ignore the OS flames. If you have a really hefty memory requirement or a very large user base (really concurrent users), then you might want to reconsider.

But no matter how new and green you are, it should be your responsibility to decide which OS and which version of Oracle would be best. That needs of course a good understanding on your side what the reasons for those needs are, and then either management will listen to you (provided you use short sentences they can understand :-) ) or they will decide against your suggestions, but then you can ask them to do so in writing *and* they take the responsibility. It's called CYA and it can help tremendously.

Just my thoughts.

Holger Received on Wed Jun 08 2005 - 02:34:26 CDT