100% CPU on Startup and Shutdown

From: opus <opus_at_stopspamvalleyg.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:50:52 GMT

Hello...

Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k-Serv SP2 P3-1.2 1GB RAM. Lots of freespace on all partitions.

This database has been working flawlessly for several years. Recently I had to turn off the computer to swap the UPS. Upon restarted the server the Oracle instance now goes to 100% CPU usage on instance startups and shutdowns, dramatically slowing down the process. Instance startup takes upwards of 10 minutes. This happens whether using DBA Studio or oradim. I suspect there may be slowing down during redo log switches, too.

No other changes to the database that I'm aware of. The server has been rebooted several times in the past without incident.

I'm not very experienced as a DBA, so please forgive me if I ask a silly question or two.

Windows event logs and oracle logs are clean, though I admit I may not be looking everywhere or reading them correctly. I'm guessing the first thing might be get new memory.

It's a mission critical business database, so I'm very concerned. Any suggestions?

Thx,
D. Received on Mon Jun 06 2005 - 09:50:52 CDT