found the problem it was my TOAD debugger.

From: colin_lyse <colin_lyse_at_98fgfgs.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2005 13:54:05 -0500

In article <42a5e259$0$50309$bb4e3ad8_at_newscene.com>, colin_lyse_at_98fgfgs.com (colin_lyse) wrote:

>-looking thru all docs i counld see nothing about a 1000 character limit on a
>-variable
>
>-the programmer is a sqlserver guy who is learning oracle
>
>- yes we are at an older verison our DBA says he is too busy to patch yet!!
>
>I determine the problem is that is that the if the sqlStmt statement exceeds
>1000 characters then i get the Undeclared Identifier ' sqlStmt' error. if i
>make it < 1001 there is no problem.
>
>I have the variable set to varchar2(4000) why does it fail at 1001 characters?
>makes no sense. Is it the way i am doing it?

just goes to show how you can be blinded by stuff. we had been running in TOAD using the debugger and kep getting the error when it was bigger than 1000 characters (we had used DBMS output and it did not show it either some kind of limit there too)

well it was working fine, the limit was in TOAD we worte it out to a table with a varchar column and it worked. Received on Tue Jun 07 2005 - 13:54:05 CDT