Re: Slow OLTP users 14CPU SunFire

From: BLGuy <Guy.Wicks_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2005 04:46:49 -0700

The one with the bees on? Yep - sat on my desk - and very informative, if only to tell you that statspack is flawed and 8.1.7 does not capture all the waits it should at the resolution it should.

However, I've use a modified version of Cary's prof.pl script on a very large DSS system in the past and got 400% improvement in throughput.

Just a little nervous about starting 10046 traces on a production box with MTS sessions. You can't trace individual sessions and you can't switch it off quickly - the logs only close once the MTS sessions have closed and that can take many hours. Also a 10046 does have quite a hit on the performance and I would not like to tip the balance.

Any thoughts on this? Am I being overly cautious? Received on Tue Jun 07 2005 - 06:46:49 CDT