Re: PL/SQL Function Calls

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:08:39 GMT

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 23:26:17 -0700, Billy wrote:

> There is however a RTTI (Run-Time Type Information) interface in Oracle
> for PL/SQL - the data dictionary. It tells you the name of the object
> (proc/func) and its parameters and the parameter types.

Yes, there is. DBA_DEPENDENCIES exists since Oracle7. This doesn't change the picture, because dependencies are found at compile time and stored in the data dictionary. They are essentially static.

> There is also DBMS_SQL and EXECUTE IMMEDIATE for dynamically creating
> code for execution during run-time.

This is not really a problem because dynamic execution does not interact with the rest of the code. You have "execute immediate using" and that's that. That is one place where the execution takes place and not an "eval" type mechanism that you are asking for.

What does change the picture and where you were right and I was wrong are weak ref cursor variables. PL/SQL, unfortunately, cannot do anything like eval in Perl.

--
I either want less corruption, or more chance to participate in it.