Re: Oracle and Dotnet

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 00:40:27 GMT

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:38:19 +0000, Larry wrote:

> Obviously, something is wrong. Oracle didn't become the industry leader
> with that type of performance. Our Oracle DBA's are claiming the problem
> is DOTNET. I don't buy that, especially since I am using a provider
> directly from the Oracle Corporation.

How is your DBA supporting his or her claim? Did he or she turn on tracing (DBMS_MONITOR) and produce a trace file? What events are shown in the trace file? There is a nice company that has at least a week or two of experience with analyzing trace files and determining what the problem is. You can visit them at http://www.hotsos.com. They can send you a consultant or analyze your trace. Unfortunately, I don't work for them nor I ever have. I am not that good. If your DBA is good enough to do it himself, you'll save some money. They can even analyze trace file submitted online. The proprietor of the company is Mr. Cary Millsap, former VP of Oracle Corp. and co-author of "Optimizing Oracle for Performance", ground breaking book introducing method to the madness of tuning Oracle RDBMS. The other co-author is Jeff Holt, also of the Hotsos fame.

> I need an opinion on the following....
>
> SHOULD I EXPECT HIGH PERFORMANCE FROM ODP.NET?????????????
What do you think, why is it nicknamed "dot not"?

--
Demagogue: One who preaches a doctrine he knows to be untrue to
           men he knows to be idiots.