Re: Database market share 2004

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 07:21:39 +0100

In message <1117509502.933106.137440_at_o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> writes
>rkusenet wrote:
>> respectively. However, there was no clear winner in market share
>>overall. Because the
>> difference between RDBMS revenue for IBM and Oracle was less than $30
>>million, it is
>> statistically too close to declare a winner, according to the report,
>>titled "No Clear
>> Winner in Overall RDBMS Market Share Race."
>
>Shewt! Brace yourselves, here comes another IBM aquisition!
>If all else fails, BUY market share. Who will it be this time?
>Teradata?
>

>> "Few users are acquiring Oracle for the Linux platform without the
>>RAC option," the Gartner
>> report states.
>
>They gotta be joking...

You *can't* buy Oracle without the RAC option. Well you can, if you buy Standard Edition One, but Standard Edition and Enterprise Edition both include RAC. I don't know how much market share SEO[1] has, but you could say that almost all Oracle licenses include RAC.

1: Probably negligible in the type of company Gartner is addressing.

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from