Re: Huge undotbs during insert

From: <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 30 May 2005 14:49:54 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk wrote:
>
> > Daniel, you've gone right off the point, deliberately I think, because
> > once again you have posted a misleading answer earlier in the thread
> > and are now trying to deflect the thread away from that. You would
> > make a good politician as they never answer a question put to them and
> > go off at a tangent making irrelevant points.
>
> I'm off the point? Lets try this using Google as the arbiter of "the
> point."
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> COPY is a dead ally, as it is going to be desupported.
>
> Tim Kearsley
> Indeed it is. But so what?
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> It will prevent him to upgrade, wouldn't it?
> Apparently you don't care about upgrades.
>
> And that really is the entire point. You were attempting to defend
> functionality that you acknowledged was going to be desupported.
> Now you make reference to it in the 10.1 docs which is a complete
> reversal from your previous statement when you agreed with Sybrand.
>
> When you have dealt with the above ... I will consider extending the
> discussion to some other matter.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Daniel, you show a quite astonishing ability to refuse to answer simple, direct questions. Of course I acknowledge that the command WILL be desupported in some future release. I am also asking you why Oracle still make extended reference to it in their 10g docs. Why do you think that might be? Because they acknowledge that people will still have a use for it? Because as of 10g it is still supported? All of this is beside the ORIGINAL point thou gh- the point which you keep trying to deflect the argument from. I repeat, for one last time a simple question. If you fail to answer again I will assume, as will everyone else reading this thread I would imagine, that you concede that you are wrong.

Question:

How does using the SQLPlus COPY command to copy a table render the database containing that table invalid or unsuitable for upgrading?

Go on - answer it!

You might also like to look at:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:13050506000063197171::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:12257624552691

where Tom confirms that COPY works OK in 10g. He also makes lots of references to using the COPY command in other articles, some as recently as this month - are you going to lambaste him as well and turn him down at one of your interviews?

Tim Kearsley
HBS Milton Keynes Received on Mon May 30 2005 - 16:49:54 CDT