Re: Oracle 9i Replication to a Remote Site

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:58:37 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
--snip--

> Note 1) This is transparent. Changes in the datamodel don't result in
> changes in your replication setup (which is inevitable with Oracle
> Replication, nowadays called Oracle Streams)
--snip--

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Oracle streams is *not* a new name for oracle replication. The two are quite different in the way they are internally written. However, oracle is now advising that customers use oracle streams rather than oracle replication since they do not plan on enhancing oracle replication in future versions.

On the rest of the stuff, I'd agree with Sybrand. Oracle streams or replication is probably not what the OP should go for. Dataguard seems like a better option for him.

Anurag Received on Mon May 16 2005 - 17:58:37 CDT