Re: inserting data from a file

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:00:27 GMT

Vince <vincent@<remove>.> wrote in

> Hello there!
>
> I would like to mass load data from file to table..
> is there any way such as 'bulk insert' in sqlServer ?
>
> thanks a lot :)
> ++
> Vince

http://downloadwest.
oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10743/schema.htm#sthref767

External Tables

External tables access data in external sources as if it were in a table in the database. You can connect to the database and create metadata for the external table using DDL. The DDL for an external table consists of two parts: one part that describes the Oracle column types, and another part (the access parameters) that describes the mapping of the external data to the Oracle data columns.

An external table does not describe any data that is stored in the database. Nor does it describe how data is stored in the external source. Instead, it describes how the external table layer needs to present the data to the server. It is the responsibility of the access driver and the external table layer to do the necessary transformations required on the data in the datafile so that it matches the external table definition.

External tables are read only; therefore, no DML operations are possible, and no index can be created on them. Received on Tue May 10 2005 - 10:00:27 CDT