Re: HP SuperDome Looking For A New Home!

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 9 May 2005 00:07:33 -0700

> Seriously, it's often similar cost to buy a refurb'd newer box, get
the
> included (hopefully cheaper) maintenance, and make the old box a
> standby until it dies or becomes way too underpowered, than to just
> keep paying maintenance. YSLFMV (Your Software Licensing Fees May
> Vary). (Don't forget to factor in depreciation and expensing tax
> benefits).

According to my experiences, the old production hardware is either returned to its vendor as a part of a HW renewal contract or used in less demanding role such as a development or a test server. Usually, there is a requirement to have full support even for a standby environment (it is part of a production environment anyway).

--
Dusan Bolek