Re: HP SuperDome Looking For A New Home!

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 May 2005 14:03:04 -0700

Jim Smith wrote:
> In message <1115219128.676829_at_yasure>, DA Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> writes
> >Joel Garry wrote:
> >
> >> And not too long ago I was _joking_ about picking up Superdomes
cheap!
> >> jg
> >
> >The hardware may be cheap ... but the maintenance agreement with
> >HP won't be. ;-)
>
> At that price you just throw it away and get another one.

I have customers who do that. Except, when they're that cheap, they never throw anything away. I've considered asking for an old K-class for my basement museum, but if I ask, then they'll be convinced it is worth something. :-O

Seriously, it's often similar cost to buy a refurb'd newer box, get the included (hopefully cheaper) maintenance, and make the old box a standby until it dies or becomes way too underpowered, than to just keep paying maintenance. YSLFMV (Your Software Licensing Fees May Vary). (Don't forget to factor in depreciation and expensing tax benefits).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Hisssss: