Re: DBA on multiple Databases

From: Rene Nyffenegger <rene.nyffenegger_at_gmx.ch>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 11:00:20 +0000 (UTC)

On 2005-05-05, nsr <narasimha.chandramouli_at_holool.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> How will be the career oppurtunities for DBAs on multiple
> databases..i am a coredba on MSSQL for past 5years and i have a great
> desire to work on Oracle as a dba..i have enough skills for that.. But
> the issue is i have just 1 year experience as a DBA in multiple
> databases.. In several Interviews (of top it mncs) when i asked for a
> role of DBA on multiple databases, they almost disagreed with me saying
>
> it is not possible anywhere..u should stick to only one database
> environment..
>

> I would like to know 3 things..
> 1. With my present skills can i get a career of my choice as a DBA on
>
> multiple databases?
> 2. If my current skills are not sufficient..what i need to learn to
> become a core Oracle DBA..?
>

> 3. What is the career chain of a DBA? mean what are the growth
> opportunities for a DBA? like DBlead etc..
>

> I thank inadvance for all valid suggestions..

Not really answering questions 2 and 3... but IF you really want to be an Oracle DBA, you should concentrate on Oracle on Oracle alone.

I am not doing anything on any other RDBMS product anymore and still, I find myself hard pressed to find the time necessary to learn and _understand_ all details about Oracle that are important and usefull.

hth
Rene

--
  Rene Nyffenegger