Re: Automatic Mirroring of Rollback Segment(s) and Control File

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:56:15 +0200

"Meh-Lit Kim" <mehlitkim_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1115156916.519932.59880_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Dear Gurus,
>
> Oracle's documentation mentions that it can automatically mirror online
> Transaction Logs.
>
> I'd like to know if Oracle can be configured to mirror the Rollback
> segment(s), or do we have to rely on mirrored disks to avoid having
> single point of failure for rollback segment(s) ?
>
> What about Oracle's control file ? Can they be automatically mirrored
> and updated when they change ? (The doc seems to imply that one has to
> manually copy Oracle's control file)
>
> Thanks!

You are probably confusing the rollback segments with the online redo log files. Redo log files can be multiplexed : multiple copies on multiple disks (software mirroring).
The same for control files : create multiple copies on multiple disks. Rollback segments can not be mirrored, but they should be placed on mirrored/striped disks (like all the other Oracle files).

Matthias Received on Wed May 04 2005 - 12:56:15 CDT