Re: weird ORA-12514 error

From: Giovanni Azua <bravegag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 19:45:38 +0100

Hi,

Do you have Oracle Client installed in your PC?

This error happens more often when:

1-. Your TNSNAMES.ORA file does not contain the appropriate

      SID configured. Find this file in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin.

2-. You have more than one Oracle home in your PC and the one

      (default) being activated by your app happens #1 above.

3-. The listener service of the server is indeed down ... try

      tnsping <SERVICE_NAME> in command line it will
      tell you even which Oracle home and parameter file
      TNSNAMES.ORA is being used.

If you get this kind of error means your application most likely uses the OCI driver and not the Thin driver which has less deployment requirements ... but don't know if Thin driver is available for C# as it is for java (classes12.jar).

HTH,
Best Regards,
Giovanni