Re: Copying DBs between heterogenous environments

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 09:38:18 -0700

"FireHawkBr®" <firehawkbr_at_gmx.net> wrote in message news:Xns9649126F36B5Cfirehawkcom_at_204.153.244.170...
> Em sáb 30 abr 2005 00:01:27, "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-
> downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> disse que:
>
> >> Tks
> > Let me see if I understand what you are trying to do. You want to use
> > Dataguard and use it on two machines with different OS's and hardware.
>
> Yes, 2 production machines - AIX e HP-UX e anda 1 contingency machine -
HP-
> UX.

You are inconsistent.

  1. You want DataGuard to protect you so you can fail over to another machine. (therefore the data and access to it is important)
  2. You want to use a clearly unsupported configuration to accomplish point A and risk your data at the very time you wouldn't want to. (machine A is down, and you want to run on machine B)

Therefore, don't do it. One would be daft to do so.

Oracle is written in C. When the code is compiled for an operating system the compiler has a whole variety of options. One of the main options is called byte alignment. Depending upon the processor and OS the byte alignment is set. (eg byte alignment, 2 byte alignment, 4 byte alignment, 8, 16, 32 byte alignment) This alignment subtly effects the database block layout. The database block is read from disk and read into the database buffer. The block structure is not changed when the block is read from disk to buffer. So if Oracle compiles the database for even byte alignment on one platform and double byte platform on another you will destroy your data. It may not be apparent immediately. Some times things will line up and work and some times it won't and your data will be irrecoverably corrupted.

It would be cheaper to buy matching hardware.

Jim Received on Sun May 01 2005 - 11:38:18 CDT