Re: update statement PL/SQL

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:42:38 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:55:20 +0100, Paul <paulsnewsgroups_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Sorry? A quick perusal of the book didn't come up with anything like
>>advice from him about the date? It was Sep 2002 - perhaps neolithic by
>>your standards?

> Anything older than the latest version doesn't count for Daniel.
> Apparently he prefers to work in splendid isolation. There are enough
> third-party vendors who still don't support 9i.
> And regrettably, I think there are way more third party apps connected
> to Oracle, than front-ends developed in Oracle products.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Or perhaps it is geography. A survey in our part of the planet reveals the oldest Oracle databases to be version 5, a handful of 7s, a little bit of 8.0, a substantial amount of 8i. But most are now in 9i or 10g or in the process of moving to them this quarter.

It may be the fact that I am in one the planet's high-tech corridors within two to three miles of Microsoft, T-Mobile, Amazon.com, RealNetworks, Boeing, Expedia, Western Wireless, ADIC, AppWorx, F5, etc. But there are plenty of people here that have been in 10g for many months. And there are plenty running Apps certified for 8i using 9i with the Compatible parameter set to 8.1.7.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington