Re: Can I, too, become an overpaid Oracle DBA (reissued in English)

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 26 Apr 2005 07:58:52 -0700

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <1114524192.912153.176670_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Niall Litchfield says...
> >
> > You can also check out SimpleProfiler on my site and
> > http://oracledba.ru/orasrp/ which are both inferior to the HOTSOS
> > product in every way apart from cost.
> >

> Did you actually mean what you wrote?

Yes, though Egor's utility has advanced considerably since I last looked at it, so my comment was probably rather too unfair on him.

The HOTSOS Profiler is fast, reliable and supported (as in your company can pay for it and get a support contract) as well as doing things like bind variable histograms and so on.

Now I intend to improve SimpleProfiler (add proper documentation plus some other stuff for example) but it isn't what I would call commercial quality - and I don't have the resources or inclination to sell it as a commercial product. I don't believe that Egor has a commercial market in mind for his product either.

If you are looking for a commercial quality, fast, reliable fully bug tested and supported profiler that enables you to implement the tuning methodology described in Cary's book then HOTSOS is the way to go, IMO. My effort definitely isn't, its a free, at your own risk kind of tool - and it owes a considerable amount to the Trace Analyzer utility written by Carlos Sierra of Oracle Corp anyway. I don't believe that Egor's would disagree significantly - but I've mailed him to allow him to speak for himself

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.niall.litchfield.dial.pipex.com Received on Tue Apr 26 2005 - 09:58:52 CDT