Re: Advanced Replication: What is the best design for our situation?

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:44:29 +0200

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> Jeroen Pieters wrote:
>

>>Oracle release is 9.2.0.4.
>>
>>What do you mean with "bad design"?
>>
>>Yes, it is a J2EE application. What about this? Any bad experience?
>>Please let me know.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Jeroen

> Any design that treats an Oracle database (or any database, for that
> matter) like a barrel of data is wrong in my book.
>
> Sadly, it often happens with applications, written in Java.
>
> There has been a thread about J2EE, and why to better avoid it
> a couple of weeks ago. You could query the archives if interested.
> It seems a passed station to me anyway - you have what you have,
> and must live with it.
> Things could have been easier, especially when replication comes in.
> A prime example of data entry, *without* any referential check of
> your front end. One of the best examples why you should not build
> applications like this one was built.
>
> As for Oracle 9.2, Advanced Replication still
> exists very much like in the 8i days, and is improved

That was meant to read:
As for Oracle 9.2, you have a choice: Advanced Replication still exists very much like in the 8i days, and is improved, but now there's also Streams.

Same for 10g, I see (actually, I thought Streams was to be the successor of Adv.Repl.)

The company I work for has been doing this in some projects, contact me off line if interested - may be we can work something out

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel