Re: hotmail password request tool (intranet usage)

From: Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hobelmann_at_web.de>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:04:11 -0500

Leythos wrote:
> That was really lame. While I run both Linux and Windows workstations I
> still see threats for Linux and Windows, neither OS is secure, it's all in
> knowing how to lock each down.

Then pick BSD. Anyway, with a Firewall I doubt that Linux can really be infected. Updates are usually painless too.

> Installing av software and or a firewall policy that blocks malicious
> attachments from gaining access to company resources is part of an admins
> job, at least in every government, commercial and private company I've
> worked for or designed the networks for.

Blocking infected attachments is relatively ok, unless you are company that has an interest in sending viruses per mail (like an AV company).

Just deleting all zips (or encrypted ones) is bloody stupid though.

> I've been running many platforms since the 70's and never experienced a
> virus or compromised system on any network I've managed or designed,
> including Windows based networks/systems, so it would seem that security
> is not really an issue for the Windows platforms, it's more a problem
> when you have ignorant administrators or ones that pretend to know about
> security.

 From this thread I gathered that the problem seems to be not the security (stuff sent with email is just passive files!), but rather the dumb user that has to push the button on every bomb he finds.

--
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's
consent. -- Abraham Lincoln