Re: Rman Restore

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:00:09 +0200

On 20 Apr 2005 07:33:41 -0700, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

>Stupid question here:
>
>What is the difference if I perform an incremental RMAN backup each
>night, verses if I just backup the archive logs?

an incremental backup will only backup the changed blocks. As this happens at a distinct point in time, you *still* need the archivelogs, at least those created during backup.

>When I need to recover, I can just apply all the archive logs, or, I
>can apply the incremental backups.......

When you recover the database, you restore a backup, don't you? Rman will automatically use the incremental backup, and then use the archivelogs when necessary.

Please read those manuals carefully! It's all there!!

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA