Re: Recovery practice

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 20:24:43 +0200

PHernandez wrote:
[snip!]

> Well, as I understand it, it's a recover of the copy (not the db) and
> BACKUP INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 makes a full backup the first time, and then
> incremental backups. The only difference of that and allways making
> full backups is that incremental is faster.

Did you ever time it? I did (on my AMD 2100+ RedHat system with 2 disks):

0m59.054s (0m59.643s) 1 channel
0m53.236s (0m56.555s) 3 channels
0m56.827s (0m59.089s) 8 channels (= # of backup pieces)

Full backups, including spfile and current controlfile, mind you. This is so lighting fast, I did not even bother to measure level 1 or level 2 backups.

Besides: there is another difference: time to recover. In your scenario, you'll *always* need the first full backup, and apply all incrementals.
I am sure I only need 1 backup set.

> I am still aware of my limited Oracle knowledge, and since now two
> persons have told me that this script is strange, I'll just have to
> read more about the concepts available.

And test, play around, get used to them! Looks like you are on the right track.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel