Re: Recovery practice

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:40:45 +0200

Frank,

what you and as far as I can see every body else responding to this thread seem to miss, is that the OP is a) on 10g
b) he is keeping a database *COPY*

The script he is using is (with the exception of the tags) e.g. in the course material to the 10g New Features Overview.

What it does basically is keeping a (almost) current copy of the database in the backup location by merging the incremental backups into the database copy. So his scenario infact is the fastest way to recover from media error:

        switch [database| datafile <datafile> |tablespace <tablespace>] to copy;

Instead of restoring files from a backup location rman adjusts the content of the controlfiles to point to the backup file location and recovery starts.

Now I've got no 10g database in production use (the usual customer constraints apply ;-) ), so I can't comment on the practical use of this approach, but the OP is testing this which is very good because he learns new things.

Many of the replies he got might scare him or anybody else following this thread from using this new feature, only because no one really understood what he is doing.

Now I might wrongly accuse you and others as being ignorant, but after following the thread sofar, this seems to be the case at least with regard to this new feature of 10g.

Also, with regards to the timing of incremental backups: With 10g using the change tracking file feature, actually the incremental backup might be faster, although again, I had no reason sofar to test this (but if SHMBO allows, I'll give it a shot tonight).

Presumably I've got this terribly wrong and I should apologize in advance, but this is how I received this thread.

Cheers,
Holger

PS: You just happened to be the last one in this thread at the time of writing, so nothing is particularly aimed at you or your contributions. Received on Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:40:45 CDT