Re: Are Oracle DBAs trivialized?

From: <offshorehell_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Apr 2005 19:38:11 -0700

One should remember that one can only learn so much in spare time at home. To learn new skills and keep up with latest technologies one has to find a work environment. The root cause of the problem at least in USA is the way industries operate. Job's have been made so narrowly specialized. One is forced to do same thing over and over again. Why one cannot do both development and DBA work especially when a person knows both. I could never find a job like that. I always had to take off my development skills from resume to find a DBA job. Industries are constantly eliminating jobs, hire only temporary workers and keep sending jobs offshore. They only want people with many years of experience in some narrow area. In last three years, I am forced to change companies every year. As soon as I arrive in a company, I find that people from offshore are coming for training and majority of IT work will be taken over by them. Can someone tell me in a work environment like that how you can prosper?

 So name of the game is to pray and hope you can keep finding some or other job until you are in your grave. Executives in corporations in USA (may be true of other countries) are ugly, self centered, with no interest in employees or long term interest of country. Only thing which matters is how to get rich quickly.

DA Morgan is fortunate, he has a University Professor job where he has opportunity to try different things, learn new skills, etc. He does not have to worry every day about some corporate merger, management change, or disappearance of his job. So, he is probably thinking that everyone has same opportunity and all DBA's should be at his level. Let us face it, the way industries operate, there is not that much one can do in terms of improving skill set. If no one gives you a job as a developer, you can learn all the programming languages in your spare time and sooner or later you will loss interest in them and your skills will become outdated. A friend of mine who did Ph.D in Computer Science, has many years of experience in software development, was let go because IBM sent this job to India. He could not find a developer or any other IT job in Industry. He was forced to become a substitute teacher in his township public school. He is not alone, in USA number of people like him keep increasing. Does any one have idea what one can do in terms of skillset improvement to stop that. I don't think you can do anything. Received on Mon Apr 11 2005 - 21:38:11 CDT