Re: ORA:1461 error

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:26:38 +0200

Nabarun wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting this error while trying to inset a long value in my
> database through a c client. This is the error;
> ---
> Unsupported character found during conversion has been replaced with
> '?'.
> ORA-01461: can bind a LONG value only for insert into a LONG column
> ---
>
> These are the two environment set up;
>
> 1. In my client application The NLS_LANG value is set to
> japanese_japan.ja16euc and in the database the NLS_CHARACTERSET is set
> to WE8MSWIN1252.
>
> 2. In my client application the NLS_LANG value is set to
> american_america.we8iso8859p1 and in the database the NLS_CHARACTERSET
> is set to UTF8.
>
> In both the cases, I am entering long values written in english. It
> would be a great help if you can kindly tell me where I am messing it
> up and how can I rectify it.
>
> Thanks.
> Nabarun

Versions?!?
And why would you use LONGs?!? Ever since V8.0, Oracle has warned not to use LONGs for new projects, as LONGs are depreciated.

Your messing up (your words) probably happens in the choice of NLS settings. First, you use a double-byte client setting, which needs to be pushed into a single byte db. Ever realized 2 bytes give a lot more possibilities than one?
Your messing up is about using a non-matching combo.

If your client uses UTF, use the correct NLS settings. I wirte this on a Win2K machine, US-english, with Dutch as secondairy language, so my NLS would be WE8MSWIN1252 on the client. Kind'a forced by choices made earlier.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel