Re: Oracle SGA size on i386 platforms

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 13:34:25 -0700

Matthias Hoys wrote:

> What do you mean "the vendor does not support Linux at this time" ? How
> about changing vendor ? You should choose your platform based on your
> current needs, not the other way around. Btw Windows Server 2003 also exists
> in a 64-bit version.
>

> Matthias

I agree. I would never let my vendor dictate the terms of engagement.

Windows Server 2003 64-bit may exist but I wouldn't consider putting anything I cared about on it. Bad performance especially when coupled with Intel's less than stellar Itanium technology. You can go AMD and it is a bit better. But still you pay a huge premium for Windows and get little in exchange other than increased vulnerability.

I have yet to have anyone give me a single data point where Windows is superior to any major competitor on the market. AIX? HP/UX? Linux? OSX Darwin? Solaris?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington