Re: LDAP aliases in OID?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:49:25 GMT

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:57:29 -0400, Chuck interested us by writing:

> OID is version 10g, but most of the clients hitting it are 9i. Isn't
> there something - perhaps an object class - that tells the LDAP server
> (OID) that an entry is an alias and contains a DN for another entry? I
> am not that familiar with the internal workings of LDAP but you would
> think that the directory server should be able to handle this sort of
> thing itself without the client getting involved.

That was always the beauty of LDAP - concentrate on simplicity and speed and leave the complexity to the client.

Very similar to XML ... no intelligence built in at all thus permitting greatest flexibility, because you define the rules when you want them. (And then we add 'stuff' like XSL, XSLT, XSQL, XYZ, etc. to compensate for the fact that we don't know what the rules should be, making the beautifully simple thing very complicated <g>)

Still, I recommend you read the appendixes in the document I referenced. I have no interest in digging for the answer, but if something fulfills your requirement, it'll probably be described there. http://docs.oracle.com

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com