Re: LDAP aliases in OID?

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 10:57:29 -0400

HansF wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:33:02 -0400, Chuck interested us by writing:
>

>>Is it possible to create and ldap entry using Oracle Directory Manager
>>that's an alias for an previously existing entry? If so how? I am not

> In what context. Pure ODM only? (afaik, this is not supported by ODM), or
> Within an app?
>
> I assume you've searched appendixes B & C of OracleŽ Internet Directory
> Administrator's Guide (App Server 10g docco). I can easily be proven
> wrong here as I haven't explored ODM in depth since an earlier release.
>
> And hopefully you are using OiD in 10g!
>
> <useless diatribe>
> Many people forget that LDAP stores, like OiD are JUST databases. It
> takes software to invoke aliases and do redirects like that which you
> request, and that software will only be available in a specific context.
> So interpretation of the things like 'users in a group' or 'aliases' is
> done by some code (like ODM), usually through a second lookup. (And those
> nested lookups explain why LDAP searches need to be so dagnabbed fast.)
> </useless diatribe>

OID is version 10g, but most of the clients hitting it are 9i. Isn't there something - perhaps an object class - that tells the LDAP server (OID) that an entry is an alias and contains a DN for another entry? I am not that familiar with the internal workings of LDAP but you would think that the directory server should be able to handle this sort of thing itself without the client getting involved.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"