Re: Oracle client for Mac

From: Bob Bunch (OCP) <bunchb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 00:28:37 -0500

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:42:15 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

> Jay wrote:
>

>> I'm trying to find the Oracle 9i client for a Mac.  I found the
>> developer version of the DBMS but I only need the client portion.
>> Where can I find it and is there anything special about installing it?
>>
>> TIA.

> There is no 9i client or database for the Mac.
>
> You can certainly obtain a 10g copy for the Mac OSX/Darwin by download
> but I must caution you that the installation instructions published by
> Oracle assume a great deal of Mac knowledge not possessed by most people
> coming from a UNIX/Linux background.
>
> I am currently working with Kent Stroker to publish a white paper on the
> Oracle Magazine web site in the next two weeks.

Looking for a good 10g/Mac install guide? Check this site out:

    http://www.orablogs.com/sergio/archives/000781.html

It helps to have experience installing Oracle on *nix platforms. If you do, then the only real problem I had w/ this was the Mac's user maintenance screen kinda got wigged out because the Oracle account was created w/o all the "normal" NetInfo goodies. I did have to "do battle" w/ the /etc/oratab area (it seems confused as to how this should be created). Once I hand-jammed the missing parts (for oratab and the NetInfo entries), all was well. I've very happy w/ my 10g install on a meager PowerBook/G4 (800MHz, 768MB) -- runs surprisingly well! The 10g distro is a lot nicer than the 9i developer drop too -- it has everything you'd expect to be present on a Unix box.

BTW, I haven't bothered setting up any RC startup scripts for it. I just close the lid when I'm not using it. Something you can't really get away w/ on Windoze laptops! ;)

HTH
Bob Bunch
8i OCP Uber-Nerd and New Mac Freak ;)

PS -- I'd love to check out the white paper! Could you post the link for it whenever it's published? Thanks! Received on Sat Apr 02 2005 - 23:28:37 CST