Re: newbie - how much ram for a test machine ?

From: Bob Bunch (OCP) <bunchb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 00:36:03 -0500

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:12:40 +0000, Dave wrote:

> "barrett bonden" <arthurheyman_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message

>> I'd like to test/play with Oracle, and have a machine with 192 Megs of ram
>> ,
>> far below what the Oracle docs say I need - but this will in no way be a
>> production PC, just a place to get a feel for the application; Will it run
>> ?
>>

> probably not,
>
> will kill the machine making it impossible to use

Ah, an opportunity to share a cool site... ;)

Check this out:

     http://www.vankuik.nl/bart/docs/small_9i.html

I used this on a P2/300 w/ 384, and it worked just fine. Not the fastest, didn't have all the bells a/o whistles (too loud anyway ;), but basic functionality was there!

From the site:

     SQL> show sga

     Total System Global Area 26283992 bytes
     Fixed Size 450520 bytes
     Variable Size 20971520 bytes
     Database Buffers 4194304 bytes
     Redo Buffers 667648 bytes

Downright PUNY SGA! ;)

Just install Oracle, do NOT let it create a starter database, then use DBCA to create this "on the head of a pin" instance.

Enjoy!
Bob Bunch
8i OCP Uber-Nerd Received on Sat Apr 02 2005 - 23:36:03 CST