Re: Is 10g ready for primetime?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:52:19 +0200

On 30 Mar 2005 11:13:33 -0800, "GeoPappas" <PappasG_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>I have been in the IT business for quite a while (almost 20 years), and
>one thing I have learned is that you don't really want to use a dot 0
>release (as in 10.0). Many "new" features are there, but not ready for
>prime-time and it takes a while to work the "kinks" out.

As Oracle has changed their version numbering system your knowledge has become outdated. There will never be a 10.1 release as per the numbering system.

>But specifically, I was wondering how some of the newer features were
>working, like ASM (Automatic Storage Management) and RAC. Are these
>ready for primetime? I have heard of some companies using RAC for the
>DB server, but I have not heard many companies using AWS yet. I
>actually have heard that it is quite slow.
>
>Any thoughts on ASM and RAC?

RAC can't be called 'newer'. It has be available since the earliest releases of Oracle 9i, 2 years ago.
ASM has been discussed in this forum, and the search function -that nobody ever uses prior to posting -should come in handy.

Other than that, it seems you will be upgrading to 10g when the next major release comes out.
I have seen this attitude more frequently in the type of firm you mention. I have been in one of those firms for a few weeks, and regrettably it was my own bank. If you looked at their reluctance to upgrade, and their reasons for it, you were really flabbergasted by their development methods.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA