Re: Is 10g ready for primetime?

From: GeoPappas <PappasG_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 11:13:33 -0800

bdb:

Thanks for the clarification and the link to AskTom.

<< By saying "kinks" and "quirks" you did not mean "bugs"? >>

Not really. My definition of "kink" is basically anything that will prevent users from getting to your site and having a *pleasant* experience. This includes DR (disaster recovery), HA (high availability), and performance. Performance is included because your site might be up and running, but if you have 10,000 customers trying to get in and your system can only handle 3,000 customers, then you have a problem.

I was referring to the product working well enough to be in a 24x7, mission-critical, "Production environment". What I mean by a
"Production environment" is something along the lines of a bank, major
website, etc, where there is a real problem if the site is down or not performing well. I know that people can call almost anything
"Production", but putting someone's blog on the Internet and storing it
in 10g is not "proof" to me.

I have been in the IT business for quite a while (almost 20 years), and one thing I have learned is that you don't really want to use a dot 0 release (as in 10.0). Many "new" features are there, but not ready for prime-time and it takes a while to work the "kinks" out.

But specifically, I was wondering how some of the newer features were working, like ASM (Automatic Storage Management) and RAC. Are these ready for primetime? I have heard of some companies using RAC for the DB server, but I have not heard many companies using AWS yet. I actually have heard that it is quite slow.

Any thoughts on ASM and RAC? Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 13:13:33 CST