Re: creating new database

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 16:20:40 GMT

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:12:45 -0800, gaddoz wrote:

> Hi all,
> i'm trying to create a second database on oracle server instance.
> First, I've run db configuration assistant, creating a new db.
> Then I've run enterprise manager configuration assistant, creating a new repository.

It would be helpful to tell us which version of Oracle you are using. Subtle, and not-so-subtle differences - specifically in this area, could change the answer dramatically.

> Now I can see only the new db from the enterprise manager console Standalone,
> and not when I'm logging to the Oracle Management Server.

Assuming 9i, since this is OEM 2.x and 9i terminology:

When accessing standalone, you point console at the database and the repository that is built into the database.

When using OMS, you point your console at the OMS. The OMS is a [24x7] service that includes a repository (database) somewhere 'else'. That repository gets fed by interaction with the 'Agent' that's on the machine with the database / instance to be managed. So...

Is Agent up?

Is the OMS service up?

Have you 'discovered' the instance (or even node)? That is used to tell the Agent that the OMS will monitor the database / instance on the node. IIRC, it also sets up, or at least requires, the Net8 (or Oracle Networking) config, such as TNSNAMES.ora Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 10:20:40 CST