Re: Best Linux distribution...

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:10:39 GMT

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:29:00 +0000, deancoo wrote:

> Quick question. What would be one of the better Linux distributions to run
> the Oracle db platform? I'm planning on using it in my home office/techlab
> to test out 'stuff' relating to data warehouses. It would primarily work on
> data, and run data warehouse relate Oracle tools. Realizing, of course,
> that Oracle pushes Redhat Enterprise and SUSE LINUX, is there something in
> the ranks of the truly free that someone may have had good experiences with,
> or even something people think should be avoided?

Not so quick answer .... I don't work for Oracle, so the following is my understanding based on observation and discussion:

  1. What is Linux, anyway?

A lot of people seem to forget that Linux is a core operating system that is approved by Linux himself. TO make it functional, many organizations have added 'stuff' such as the GNU layers that provide shells, utilities and tools as well as additional non-GNU layers to help installation or to provide extra applications.

So, ANY distribution that provides an approved Linux [kernel], the required libraries, and tools should be satisfactory. See the docco at http://docs.oracle.com for more info.

b) Why look at a 'certified' Linux?

Oracle certifies certain Linux versions because they provide the correct versions of required packages, and because their producers have formed an alliance with Oracle to place a certain emphasis on timely, cooperative, resolution to Oracle-related issues.

This narrows the recommended search to Red Hat EL , SuSE EL, and the like.

c) But I really don't want to spend any money

There are a number of Red Hat EL clones, such as TaoLinux, WhiteBoxLinux and CentOS, that are built from the same sources as the commercial Red Hat 3. Ideally, the only difference between these an RHEL is that the Red Hat trademaaaarks and logos have been replaced. While I have not seen any deviation from ideal, it is possible that such editing could accidently create a deviation from the RH origin.

Installation and configuration is very clearly and succinctly discussed at http://www.puschitz.com

One of the most common goofs I';ve seen is "the linux is now mine, so I can upgrade pieces, and modify as necessary. Now that I've installed package xyz, Oracle stopped working - which is obviously Oracle's fault." - Doh!

hth/Hans Received on Mon Mar 21 2005 - 11:10:39 CST