Re: Is 60M rows a lot?

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 05:25:03 GMT

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:26:58 -0800, Chris Markle wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Say I wanted to store a row per email for 2M emails per day for 30d...
> That'd be 60M rows... And assume if you're wondering how big a row is that
> it's 500 bytes. That'd be a table of 30GB. In the grand scheme of small /
> medium / large DBs, where it this? I sorta thought it'd be medium size, but
> others are telling me that's "large". Just trying to figure out how whacked
> this this...
>
> Chris

Given that Oracle can handle data in terms of hundred to thousands of terabytes, I personally think this is the wrong question to ask. Instead, the question should be related to 'how do I maintain or back up my database at the following size?' If the effort is significant, it is a large database.

Similarily, my definition of VLDB is now "any database, of any size, for which the maintenance window (time available to do maintenance) is smaller than the time required to do the maintenance"

And at 30GB, in this day of 400GB disk drives (for under $1/GB at DirtCheapDrives.com) your database hardly nudges 10% of the disk space. For me, assuming adequate maintenance window, medium sized DBs kick in at more than 1 full disk drive.

/FGB Received on Fri Mar 18 2005 - 23:25:03 CST