Re: SQL Server 2005 - Still not upto it

From: Aaron [SQL Server MVP] <ten.xoc_at_dnartreb.noraa>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:34:04 -0500

> Agree, Performance is part of the day to day job and not something you
"bolt
> on" later. That said, everything is a balance, but one should keep focus
on
> performance as a day to day part of the job.

I give up. Clearly I do not advocate throwing performance concerns out the window and focusing only on the features until the very last minute. I was merely trying to point out that there are different aspects of performance tuning... from overall, sensible design, which should go without saying in this crowd absolutely has performance elements involved (even at whiteboard / paper napkin stage), all the way to fine-tuning once the functionality is complete.

And all I was doing was hypothesizing that this is the way Microsoft is proceeding ... that of course they have performance in mind throughout the design phase (in fact I know that they do), but it makes little sense to release TPC-C numbers now when the functionality isn't complete and they haven't approached the fine-tuning side of performance.

Since everyone continues to disagree with their perception of my initial comment rather than my explanations thereafter, I'm going to bow out and let you all keep feeling good about yourselves. But please, go on, keep disagreeing with your perception of what I was implying in my first response, rather than what I've been forced to elaborate multiple times because I can't make myself clear enough for you. Enjoy.

--
Please post DDL, sample data and desired results.
See http://www.aspfaq.com/5006 for info.