Re: SQL Server 2005 - Still not upto it

From: Tibor Karaszi <tibor_please.no.email_karaszi_at_hotmail.nomail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:20:28 +0100

> Interesting article but a couple months back Infoweek carried an
> article that stated that the beta version was missing the optimizer.

I'd like to see that article. :-)
The execution engine cannot execute an SQL query. It needs a execution plan. The execution plan is generated by the optimizer.

Now, the optimizer might not have been as polished at that point in time as it will be in the released version, but that is of course the case with all parts of a product.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp