Re: SQL Server 2005 - Still not upto it

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2005 12:46:52 -0800

Interesting article but a couple months back Infoweek carried an article that stated that the beta version was missing the optimizer. If I was in charge of the project I would want the otimizer beta tested also, but just because I think all the code should be beta tested does not mean MS's approach is wrong. It does however raise questions about why the beta engine is claimed to be non-optimizing. It could be that MS is having trouble getting the optimizer to work correctly, or they could be planning to spring a surprise. In another few months we will find out.