Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:31:12 -0800

Andy Hassall wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:44:09 +0000, Andy Hassall <andy_at_andyh.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>a pure XML-based database

> By coincidence [or Jungian synchronicity ;-)] the same issue's just been
> raised on Slashdot:
>

> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/10/2043202&tid=221&tid=198&tid=4
>
> The quality of debate on Slashdot usually leaves much to be desired, but there
> may be a nugget of reason somewhere in there.

My experience with pure XML databases is that they will reach the same level of acceptance in the marketplace as object oriented databases.

Oracle, IBM, Sybase, and Microsoft will provide enough extensions to claim the marketing space ... and the marketplace itself will ignore them like they are the plague.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington